top of page

Heartland Super Cup: Sunflower State Vs Fountain City FC

Game 3 – Sunflower State FC vs. Fountain City FC

Fountain City had high hopes for this tournament, but two, tough losses to United KCFC and Santa Fe Wanderers found them in last in the Kansas City Region group. Sunflower State FC (SSFC) on the other hand, has been unbeaten in all competitions in 2020 and looked to continue their undefeated run in the last game of the group stage in the Heartland Super Cup Tournament.

The first of two, 40 minute halves kicked off at Platte County High School.. For the opening 10 minutes both teams looked to feel each other out, with half chances on each side.

Both teams had trouble adjusting to the strong winds; FCFC’s long passes getting knocked down at midfield, and SSFC’s through balls picking up too much speed for their wingers.

In the 15th minute Sunflower State FC won a throw in on the near side, and Tyler Schafer switched the ball to Nic Jaimes. Jaimes, with some quick feet, beat a defender and found himself with open space. Jaimes launched a shot that took advantage of the wind and beat FCFC goalkeeper Isaac Uzcanga.

1-0 Sunflower State FC

After the goal, SSFC settled into a more comfortable speed; keeping possession and creating chances. FCFC picked up their urgency and team captain Anthony Walker played the ball to Federick Arasanyan, who beat SSFC right fullback (name) on the goal-line. Arasanyan’s cross was low and hard, but too close to SSFC Goalkeeper Sam Glass, who was quick to the ground to collect the cross.

After a water break at the 21’, there were a few chances for SSFC. SSFC could have taken advantage, but with Fountain City FC playing a high defensive line and GK Uzcanga cutting down angles, SSFC couldn’t add to their lead for the rest of the half.

Halftime. SSFC 1-0 FCFC.

The 2nd half began as it had finished with SSFC trying to take advantage of FCFC high line. In the 50’, SSFC player-manager and captain Nick McDonald beat the keeper but his shot hit the post to keep the score 1-0.

In the 74th minute, after a FCFC corner, SSFC winger Mitch Moncada began a counterattack down the wing, and squared the ball to Ben Wilhoit, who added another goal for SSFC.

2-0 SSFC

Right after the restart, Sunflower State showed how quickly they can turn a frustrating game into a comfortable lead. A trailing ball from FCFC was bobbled by their defender after pressure from Ben Wilhoit, who picked up the loose ball and slotted it past FCFC keeper for his second goal of the game.

3-0 SSFC.

In the dying minutes of the second half FCFC tried to salvage something, which led to a few shots on goal that forced saves from SSFC GK Glass.

Full-time. SSFC 3 – 0 FCFC.

Author: Salvator Sesti

20 views0 comments


bottom of page